Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are many potential gases that may be present in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors released from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can make its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

There is no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. If you do not have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Neal Harris Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing in Overland Park to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Take the necessary steps and call Neal Harris Service Experts in Overland Park at 816-787-0500 to learn more.