Spring is beautiful for a couple reasons: flowers are blooming, you can open windows for fresh air and your power bill is generally at its lowest. That’s because you’re not turning to your heat or air.
But as temperatures begin to increase, so do your energy costs. Here are a few suggestions for saving energy in Kansas City and keeping costs down.
1. Schedule Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it operate more efficiently and scale down costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep utility costs less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has had better days, spring is a good time to update it. The energy-saving features in updated cooling systems is a big benefit for keeping your energy expenses down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort costs. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to expertly schedule your thermostat is the best way to cut down on energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think of it this way, the less significant the difference between outdoor temperatures and interior temperatures, the smaller your cooling cost will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty residence.
3. Experiment with Other Ways to Cool Your Home
You can try a few other methods to help keep your home cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which forces cool air upward. This distributes cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it comes through windows. Keep your house cooler by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny rooms.
4. Think About Installing a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats figure out your routine and adjust the temp when you’re out to help you save money. You can also adjust the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These pro ideas will all help keep summer energy costs less expensive. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 816-787-0500 or contact us online. We’ll help you select the best product for your home. And as usual, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.