How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Kansas City Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often associated with wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly; it's that simple. CO is tops when ranking leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning a very serious concern for any Kansas City homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.

How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?

  1. No home should be without a reliable, tested CO detector. You can contact Neal Harris Service Experts to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
  4. Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance once per year to ascertain no CO leaks are present at the onset of heating season. 
  5. If your furnace is approaching the end of its working life, you may want to consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a newer energy efficient furnace. 

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

chat now widget box