How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Kansas City Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO2?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is tops when ranking leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning a very serious concern for any Kansas City homeowner. Severe poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?

  1. No home should be without a reliable, tested CO2 detector. You can call Neal Harris Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us