There are many fumes that could be within your Kansas City residence. Natural gas and vapors that derive from household furniture, carpeting and paints. Not a one of them are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.
Call Neal Harris Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing at 816-787-0500 now to get started shielding your home against this harmful gas.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so Toxic?
Carbon monoxide could be a serious issue, so it’s not something to mess around with.
1. You Can’t Smell It
Carbon monoxide is hazardous because you aren’t able to see it, smell it with your nose or recognize it with your taste buds. It doesn’t cause irritation in low doses and can’t be filtrated.
2. It Can Be Deadly Within Minutes
Carbon monoxide is a result of used fuel. It can creep into your house during cold weather if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace breaks. While it depends on how big the leak is and the ventilation in a house, the gas could become deadly in within minutes.
Once inhaled, the gas has a half-life of approximately five hours. If you are taking in pure air, it will take five hours to take it out of your body. It will take another five hours to reduce that concentration by half.
3. Carbon Monoxide Symptoms Can Mirror Other Illnesses
Carbon monoxide could also cause conditions that can be confused with the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.
How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide
There’s no point to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here are three precautions you can complete to keep your family safe:
- Each house with at least one natural gas appliance, adjoined garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide alarm. You should have a detector on all levels of your residence, on top of the basement and garage. You also should install one inside or outside of each bedroom. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide alarm in your home?
Call Neal Harris Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing at 816-787-0500 to buy one. Ask our techs about our affordable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide alarms.
- If you presently have a carbon monoxide alarm, regularly check or replace the batteries. You should check batteries every season, and get a new alarm every three to five years.
- If your carbon monoxide sensor alerts you to danger, leave your house immediately and phone 911.
Keep Your Family Safe with Support from Neal Harris Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing
Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the proper steps your residence can be guarded from the toxic gas. Take the precautions and call Neal Harris Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing at 816-787-0500 to learn more.