Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it should have to. While the air conditioner is your best source for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, on top of air conditioner service, to help keep the Kansas City heat out and help your air conditioner survive through the final days of summer.
Here are some tips from Neal Harris Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a complete comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that could create heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances a rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help shield the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the ideal option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is sustaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we’ve listed, it might mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is working correctly and that you are getting top efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Neal Harris Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing in Kansas City or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating correctly.