When severe weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Neal Harris Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Neal Harris Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Kansas City, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in Kansas City or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 816-787-0500 or schedule an appointment with Neal Harris Service Experts through our online scheduler.