Every year over 20,000 people visit the hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Neal Harris Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries every year.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a stove to warm your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only all set to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Neal Harris Service Experts will check to ensure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 816-787-0500 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.